Friday, 9 January 2015

Interview with Sarah McMenemy

Sarah McMenemy is a London based illustrator whose work I am very much inspired by especially in my current project. She ranges from producing Architectural work, Maps and Lettering and Children's Books. She also had some permanent instalments in the London Underground around the time of the Olympics. These were placed along the underground path taken to get the Olympic Stadium. I took it upon myself to email her and ask a few questions to do with the her work and processes she uses. She was very willing and quick to respond.





1) How did you initially promote yourself when you first started out with your illustration work?
When I left college people were showing their large A2/A1 portfolios to art editors at magazines, design groups etc, so making face to face contact. Commissions came directly from these meetings.

2) How do you find new people to work with?
My agent finds new clients for me via their own promotions, on their website theartworksinc, mail shots, illustration annuals and face to face meetings.

3) What was your first publication and how did it come about?
My first publication was a children's picture book with Walker Books called 'Waggle'. My agent had seen representatives from Walker at the Bologna book fair and they had seen samples of my work and asked if I'd like to work on a book project with them.

4) Have you ever had to deal with difficult clients?
It is quite rare to deal with difficult clients. If I have I've forgotten them! The most demanding clients have been in advertising where they expect you to work round the clock for them and are very particular about alterations.

5) What are the most useful things your agent does for you?
It is useful not to have to discuss money with the clients. It means your relationship remains purely creative. They deal with contracts and a lot of the invoicing and administration that would otherwise take up time. They show my work to new clients and get me work so I can save time and just get on with the work.

6) What materials and processes do you use to do your architectural pieces?
I use mixed media on watercolour paper, paper collage, ink and gouache. I create a finished picture on paper then scan it and make small changes, corrections before sending it to the client.

7) What is the best piece of advice you have been given to do with your work?
Always try to enjoy the picture as you are creating it, that shows in the work and will engage viewers.

From this short interview, I think that having an agent further in the future would be something to take upon myself to seek out. McMenemy made what I think is a very good point. Having an agent means not having to discuss the money side of the business with clients yourself , you can keep your relationship with a client strictly professional. This was something I had not considered. I would imagine that in some cases having to discuss money could possibly a difficult topic. An agent would have it planned out and would know exactly who gets what in terms of money.
Her architectural work is what first caught my eye. She has produced 3d, expanding city skylines of very well known cities. I own some of these and loved the way in which they were created, with watercolours, paper collage, ink and gouache. I have never used gouache before so I would be interested to begin experimenting with this material.


 As I have previously discovered, having the confidence to put yourself and your work out there and promote yourself is what can get you work. She did exactly this after leaving education. She made face to face contact with potential clients and then commissions came from these meetings. Knowing a lot of people and making valuable connections with them will be nothing but useful and vital to moving forward with an illustration career.

I found this interview useful, particularly the information on agents. I will be doing more interviews with other people that inspire me in the future. 

www.sarahmcmenemy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment