Monday, 23 February 2015

Starting an Etsy Shop | Extra Research


After completing another narrative project and a previous one where I used decorative qualities and pattern it is more clear to me now that I am not as interested in pieces involving narrative. Pieces that can be editionable such as postcards, clothing prints, and applying designs to be merchandised. I have therefore furthered my research when it comes to starting up an Etsy shop. Having this extra knowledge on the subject will make it a more informed choice if this is something I decide to do. 
Theres a lot of questions I would need to ask myself before beginning the shop so that I have all my facts and everything is organised. A few of those being;

- Are there competitors out there and what can you offer that they can't?
- Do you know what it costs to make your product, how mush time it'll take, what yo need to charge to make a profit?
- Who is your target audience and how will they find you? Social media, referrals, word of mouth, business cards?
- Are you able to put in the time to maintain the shop and keep it updated?

Appearance of the shop online should be well presented. A visually exciting and engaging banner with an informative shop description. When I have a specific product idea this will be something that'll come easier. 
Much like other research and talks I have had, networking is only ever a good thing when it comes to promoting and putting the word out that you are producing work. Having a blog up and running and interacting with others that may have similar interests is going to work in my favour as I can make new contacts and respond and refer people in the direction of my shop whilst still making friends along the way. Answering queries or general questions about what it is that I do will put across a professional image to potential customers/ clients. 
Patience is very important especially when only just starting out. Regular self evaluation will help the success along. Sales will more than likely not be instant so sometimes going back to the drawing boards to reinvent certain aspects of the shop and keeping things fresh and inspiring to customers should be something that is part of a regular routine when it comes to my shop. 
When it comes to the money side of a shop, I will have to become more informed on this side to it. However, I know that good bookkeeping and an organised system will come in handy. I am in contact with an accountant so I will be asking them for advice when it comes to this aspect of the business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment