Saturday, 28 March 2015

Anna Coffey






Using recognisable and relatable subject matter in her illustrations makes Anna Coffey's work draw in a range of audiences.  We reminisce over the illustrations as she associates them with emotions and nostalgic imagery. I think because she has chosen postcards as a main merchandising product they become more of a keepsake item allowing the recognisable illustration subject matters to take the leading role. I think being able to relate to a piece of work makes it all the more successful and appeals to a wide range audience wise. 
Something that stand out most to me is the fact that she relates emotions to inanimate objects whilst it still being a relatable piece. On her website she has other pieces that consist of small tutorials. For example, 'Smokey Eye Essentials'. A relatable piece for a target audience making it more desirable.
After looking at Anna Coffey's work, it makes me think more about the message or emotions I'm trying to infer in my work as a more important factor than the actual piece. Whilst still making a final piece as aesthetically successful as I can, I want to take this way of thinking into consideration with my own work so that a reaction from the audience can be achieved. For me, this is what stands out the most and makes Coffey's work a success. A relatable, emotion provoking piece that makes it desirable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment