Saturday, 28 March 2015

Harriet Plaskitt





Much like the work of Becky Lees, architectural elements are a part of the focus in Plaskitt's work. Once again this was an initial attraction as I too, have these elements in my work. The simple application of her illustrations to merchandise are appealing as they are both useful and aesthetically successful with their crisp lines, and simple compositions on a clean white background. 
The fact that the illustrations are formed this way and are applied to useful merchandise makes the products desirable and perhaps collectable. The adaptability of the illustrations have the potential to fit multiple environments (e.g homeware shop fronts) and products. This is something I wish to explore in my work so I can pin point and expand on an audience. 
Plaskitt includes extra details in the packaging such as a wash temperature on the tea towel and the fact it was screen printed. These small pieces of information gives the customer confidence in the piece and the willingness to purchase. 
As mentioned with Anna Coffey, the thoughts behind the work impact an audience as much, if not more than the illustrations so this is what attracts me to the work. 
I will be thinking more about the way I want a certain audience to react to my work so as to perhaps make it more of a success for this is what I am most attracted to with Plaskitt's work. Initially it will be the illustrations that are seen and draw in a customer but what goes with the work is what I find to be more important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment