Initially my intentions for myself for this module were to; become more independent and proactive with the organisation of presenting my work, develop my skills when it comes to use of pattern alongside a narrative and continue to experiment with styles and techniques. I wanted to enter into competitions so as to expose my work to a wider audience and have a more professional outlook when it comes to this side of my practice.
When it comes to my practice, it has developed into something that I am able to work with so as to achieve the more professional outcomes. By using others projects to achieve this, it has resulted in a more consistent style and technique that I find now crops up in my work. I'm still going to be developing this way of working so I can adapt to the changing market of illustration. Whether this be to accommodate a different brief set or to access other audiences by producing merchandise to sell.
I was expecting to develop my pattern based work alongside narratives however, it is clear to me now that narratives are not something I wish to focus on with my work. Through briefs and experiments I have found that narratives aren't a strong point for me. I have therefore adapted so I can continue the use of my successful patterns and combine it with singular or collective illustrative pieces, usually location based. After coming to this conclusion I am a lot more confident with my practice and can proceed to reach out to potential clients and enter competitions more.
After contacting and having talks from practicing illustrators and artists I have understood further that self initiation to expose my own work is what will help in the long run with gaining potential clients. Networking is what drives the business forwards and makes for a successful illustrator whether this be freelance to begin with and then leads on to having an agent. This has supported and confirmed what I was already expecting. The interview and talks were perhaps the most useful of resources and they were able to give me insight from a reliable, working source. Their first hand experience informed my lack of knowledge on some subject and drove me to find out more.
This module has helped me gain a better understanding of where I want to take my practice in the professional world. I took it upon myself to do some research when it comes to Etsy stores, finance and going freelance as I was inspired after a talk from the owners of Papio Press and finding out the potential for where my illustrations can go or be applied to. I can now evaluate my practice in relation to these potential future outcomes and apply what I have found out.
The process of becoming more professional and adapting my practice will be an ongoing thing as the market for illustration is always going to be changing so I will develop more and apply any other things I will learn about the industry to my practice so that I can remain current, accessible to potential clients and be professional.
Now that I am confident in the nature of my practice I can more forwards with my research and carry on exposing my work. I wish to develop and produce a website for my work, perhaps a brand name and logo too. I wanted to develop my practice first so I can be sure that what i decide for these next steps will be something I am confident in and will see me through as a professional. These will therefore be the next steps to me learning more and developing with this professional journey as well as maintaining and keeping in mind the things I have already learned.
After contacting and having talks from practicing illustrators and artists I have understood further that self initiation to expose my own work is what will help in the long run with gaining potential clients. Networking is what drives the business forwards and makes for a successful illustrator whether this be freelance to begin with and then leads on to having an agent. This has supported and confirmed what I was already expecting. The interview and talks were perhaps the most useful of resources and they were able to give me insight from a reliable, working source. Their first hand experience informed my lack of knowledge on some subject and drove me to find out more.
This module has helped me gain a better understanding of where I want to take my practice in the professional world. I took it upon myself to do some research when it comes to Etsy stores, finance and going freelance as I was inspired after a talk from the owners of Papio Press and finding out the potential for where my illustrations can go or be applied to. I can now evaluate my practice in relation to these potential future outcomes and apply what I have found out.
The process of becoming more professional and adapting my practice will be an ongoing thing as the market for illustration is always going to be changing so I will develop more and apply any other things I will learn about the industry to my practice so that I can remain current, accessible to potential clients and be professional.
Now that I am confident in the nature of my practice I can more forwards with my research and carry on exposing my work. I wish to develop and produce a website for my work, perhaps a brand name and logo too. I wanted to develop my practice first so I can be sure that what i decide for these next steps will be something I am confident in and will see me through as a professional. These will therefore be the next steps to me learning more and developing with this professional journey as well as maintaining and keeping in mind the things I have already learned.
No comments:
Post a Comment