I am interested in doing freelance work for some of my illustration so took upon myself to do some more research to see what it could involve and what I could expect from it. Some information I have already collected from my seminars are already things I have to keep in mind for example constantly putting my work in the public eye by taking part in competitions otherwise no one will know what kind of illustrations I am doing. Using social media and blogs to promote myself and allowing networking will definitely work in my favour as long as I keep them active and up to date so I can once again make my work more known and seen by a wider audience. My next step will now be to more pro active when looking for and entering competitions.
The time and work I produce will be completely in my own hands so a dedication to time management and organisation to keep all my work, networking and production constantly up to date will be needed.
Initially, going freelance may be inconsistent when it comes to workload and income so a part time job may be necessary so if I start putting my work out as soon as possible may help this situation along. However, in the long run, if this becomes a success for me then a long term goal could be to look at getting an agent. This will be something I will have to research more when an opportunity arises.
A mentor could be a decision that could be advantageous for me if they were already an established freelancer or are with a successful business. They would be able to offer me critical advice and I can learn as I go. It would also increase my networking.
The main skills I will need are time management, organisation of my work and constantly exposing my work to a wider audience be that just a small bit everyday or a whole project I am working on.
No comments:
Post a Comment