Friday, 21 November 2014

Pirrip Press | Georgina Hounsome


Screen printer, freelance illustrator, lecturer and Pirrip Press owner Georgina Hounsome furthered my insight and has given me more ideas of things I could be doing/ do after my university life.
Georgina put forward the point that most freelance illustrators are not solely freelance and that they are doing things alongside their illustrations to maintain their earnings. When first starting out as freelance I can definitely see this being something I would do too. It may be the case of having a part time job that doesn't involve my illustration skills at all. I would need to get a balance between my two types of work so that I would be earning enough money but still having enough time to be putting my work in the public eye and entering competitions. 
Georgina said that she gets some of her inspirations from looking at her old childhood art work she made and old science text books. These ideas have non narrative elements to them so can be adapted to become narrative in many ways. I too, like looking at singular images and interpreting them in my own way but I've never thought to look at my own past work and then develop from what I see. Whether I go as far back as first school art work or something I did last month it would be interesting to take elements from these pieces to see what I can make with them. 
She sent her work out to over 200 different agencies and companies and heard back from only 3. She is now part of Eye Candy Illustration Agency. I've learnt that I will need to be broad with my choices if I eventually decide to apply to be part of an agency. Being consistent with all of my choices such as maintaining a blog, applying to competitions and generally making my work more widely seen may help the process of an agency application as I would have more work to choose from and show. 

www.pirrippress.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment